Microsoft is offering free upgrades to Windows 10 for those running both Windows 7 & Windows 8 and you may have noticed that the Windows 10 upgrade is now being pushed out as part of general Windows updates.
Whilst this is a big hit with curious personal/home end-users, able to start the upgrade process quickly at the quick of a button, it potentially proves to cause a few hurdles for businesses.
What does this mean for your business?
As much as we like and recommend Windows 10 for its improved speed, navigation and fresh interface; we find that many applications by various software vendors are not ready (or not compatible) for Windows 10 just yet.
In the real business world this means that any performed upgrades to Windows 10 may render those business critical applications useless on the upgraded machine, or even if they do work they may not be ‘supported’ by the software vendor until an update of that software is installed.
We recommend that before anyone in your organisation starts the Windows 10 upgrade to their PC/Laptop/Surface, that they consult their IT resource to confirm that the software they use daily is indeed supported to work on Windows 10. If found that they are at risk, then a suitable migration plan can be created. If you are running versions of software that are superseded by newer versions, there may be an easy upgrade path, although some server and client maintenance may need to be performed to bring it up to date.
As for applications that Technology Management provide and their support for Windows 10, please see below (all correct at time of writing):
Dynamics NAV Client
- Dynamics NAV 5 – Not supported
- Dynamics NAV 2009– Not supported
- Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 – Not supported
- Dynamics NAV 2013- Windows 10 compatible
- Dynamics NAV 2013 R2- Windows 10 compatible
- Dynamics NAV 2015 – Windows 10 compatible
- Dynamics NAV 2016 – Windows 10 compatible
Dynamics CRM Client
- All CRM WEB Clients 2011/2013/2015 are supported in IE11 with Windows 10.
- Dynamics CRM 4 Outlook Client – Not supported
- Dynamics CRM 2011 Outlook Client – Not supported
- Dynamics CRM 2013 Outlook Client – Not supported till v6.1.4xxx is release (date TBC)
- Dynamics CRM 2015 Outlook Client – Windows 10 compatible
- Opera 3 v2.24 or above – 10 Windows compatible
- Opera II v7.44 or above – 10 Windows compatible
- Operations II v3.18.10 or above – 10 Windows compatible
- Capital Gold v3.72 or above – 10 Windows compatible
- Capital Gold Payroll v4 or above – 10 Windows compatible
- Pegasus XRL v1.62.10 or above – 10 Windows compatible
- Pegasus CAS v4.00 or above – Windows 10 compatible
- Symantec Endpoint Anti-Virus Client – Window 10 compatible (v12.1.6 MP1 or above)
- Jet Essentials 2015 Update 1 or above – Windows 10 compatible (Not Office 2016 compatible as yet).
Others (other applications worth checking their compatibility if you use them)
- Zetafax – Windows compatible on v17 or above
- Zetadocs – Not compatible. New release (v8) due in November 2015.
- Any banking software installed locally
- Time & Attendance
Please ensure you check with your Solutions Partner before you automatically update!